Sunday, June 10, 2018

Lake Whatcom Park - Chanterelle Trail


I did my first solo hike on Saturday, June 9th. I've wanted to do it forever but was to chicken to try. The Chanterelle Trail was built last summer and opened on Sept. 30. It is 2.4 miles out and back with a 1000 ft elevation gain, up to epic views of Lake Whatcom. In 2014 the state transferred 8,844 acres of forest land around Lake Whatcom to the County. They plan to create a network of trails in the area totaling 98 miles. The Chanterelle Trail starts at Lake Whatcom Park parking lot. Don't get confused like me and go down the Hertz trail in the first parking area, walk further down to the second parking area where the trailhead starts. I'm not normally a fan of high elevation gain and switchbacks but this trail wasn't that bad. The switchbacks were longer and not as steep as other trails I have been on, so if your not in that great of shape and want to try a tougher hike this would be a good one. The trail is shared with bikers on the way up, but they are required to use the Wickersham road to descend back down until they build a separate trail. I saw a biker coming down the trail on my way up and wanted to yell at her, so make sure you follow the rules if you plan to bike up. The trail crosses the road three times on the way up, so watch for bikers when you cross. I like how they have signs at the road crossings telling you how many miles are left to the top. Hikers can descend back down the Wickersham road if they want, it is supposed to be an easier route but longer. I opted for the trail both ways for a more scenic route.  Pets are allowed, so please be responsible and clean up after them. Doggy bags are available at the beginning of the trail. Porta Potty is located in the parking lot.




Chanterelle Trail





Chanterelle Trail
One of the three road crossings on the trail




Chanterelle Trail






Chanterelle Trail





Chanterelle Trail
View from the top 




The viewing area at the top with big rocks you can sit and rest on.


If your super out of shape and want to try an easy and flat hike the Hertz Trail is a good one, which is located in the same parking lot. 







On my drive back home I stopped for a nice lunch at the Fork at Agate Bay to reward myself for my first solo hike. Located just 3.2 miles back down the road from Lake Whatcom Park.

The Fork At Agate Bay




The Fork At Agate Bay

I decided to sit outside because it was a nice day. Most items on the menu were reasonably priced between $10 - $15. They serve breakfast lunch and dinner. Open for breakfast and lunch on weekends only, and Dinner is available Wednesday through Sundays. I ordered the Shrimp n Grits from the small plates section and a cup of soup. 





Getting to Lake Whatcom Park: Take exit 255 toward Sunset Dr. Toward WA-542E/Mt Baker Turn R onto Barkley Blvd. Follow for 2.5 miles. Turn R onto Britton Rd. Turn L onto North Shore Dr. Follow until you reach your destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment